Water leaks

Have you experienced a leak?

Each year some homeowners and businesses are shocked to receive a large water bill resulting from water leaks in their household pipes.

Aqwest offers assistance to customers who have an unexpected high bill as a result of a genuine hidden water leak or where water is lost in circumstances beyond a customer’s reasonable care and control.

Please read the  Leak Allowances Policy and information on how to apply for a leak allowance below.

Tips for monitoring water use

- To monitor water use and quickly detect hidden leaks, simply record water meter numbers regularly and get to know how many litres of water you are using. That way you will easily be able to detect any sudden increases in water use - and this could indicate a hidden leak

- The next step is to call a plumber to fix the leak - the sooner a plumber is called, the lower your water bill will be

For more information about reading meters, check out Aqwest’s page on How to read your meter and download a handy Water Consumption Chart to record water use.

If you have had a leak, read our policy below to find out if you may be eligible for a credit on your bill.

Complete the application form if you think you may be eligible. Please email it to us at accounts@aqwest.com.au


Apply for a leak allowance


Aqwest Policy

Property owner's responsibility

Aqwest supplies water to the water meter however, property owners are responsible for the cost of any water registered on the water meter and for maintaining the internal water service in good condition.

If you have had a leak at the property, this will affect the amount of water you have used. If the leak has been repaired by a licenced plumber, then you may be eligible for an allowance to offset a portion of the water used.

Application criteria
  • Repairs must be completed by a licensed plumber who has completed an Aqwest Leak Allowance claim form.
  • The leak allowance application form must be provided to Aqwest within one (1) month of the date of repair.
  • The leak must be repaired within 1 month from the identification of the leak.
  • A leak allowance will only be assessed on values greater than $250.00 per claim.  Claims of a lesser value will not be considered.
  • A leak allowance will only be granted to a property owner once every 5 years.
  • The irrigation system must (as a minimum) have a WaterMark certified manual isolation valve, a backflow prevention valve complying with AS/NZS 35, and master control solenoid installed to meet irrigation industry standards. If there is no manual isolation valve and master solenoid installed, an allowance will be assessed upon re-application, only after the irrigation system is upgraded to the required plumbing standard and regulations and is certified as such by a licensed plumbing contractor.

As a leak allowance grant can only be allocated to a property owner once every five years, it is important that customer’s understand their responsibility to maintain their internal water service

Customers should also frequently read their meter and record usage to help identify leaks early. More information on how to read your meter is available at www.aqwest.com.au.

Where applications will not be considered
  • Where it can be shown that the loss was visible or clearly should have been detected
  • Where the internal service was patently sub-standard and does not meet Australian Plumbing Standard AS/NZ3500
  • For leaks and/or bursts that occur on internal or external taps; internal appliances, fixtures or fittings including dish washers, hot water systems, toilet cisterns and valves
  • When the leak on the internal plumbing is not repaired (or verified) by a licensed plumber
  • When the garden irrigation system does not as a minimum have a manual isolation valve and master solenoid installed
  • When the leak allowance application form is not provided to Aqwest within one (1) month of the date of repair.
  • When the leak is not repaired within 1 month from the identification of the leak.

The amount of the allowance which may be granted shall be determined by reference to:

  • The increase in consumption compared to the previous consumption for the same period based on three years or less. Consumption is based on the kiloliters used.
  • Where the leak has occurred over more than one-meter reading period the calculated allowance shall be completed on the most current read that includes the repair.
Aqwest infrastructure

If water loss is caused by a fault with Aqwest infrastructure an allowance may be available. Please contact Aqwest to further discuss your specific case.